Monday, January 19, 2009

How Crucial Is It Really?

Last year, I am somewhat ashamed to say, I got sucked into this television "phenomenon" (so the powers that be called it) about a group of kniving, malicious, horrid little spoiled brats in NYC who all wear outfits that cost more money than I make in a month. I accepted that I am a weak person and I loved watching this show. It was a total and complete escape from reality and the clothes, well, okay, I would kill for a couple of those pieces. I am not the only one in this sudden fascination with a silly, badly acting teen soap opera. Apparently a number of my friends fell victim to the stupidity and I would regularly sit on my couch on Monday nights to watch Man-Bangs, Queen B and Lonely Boy and text my comments on this show to my buddy who I knew was watching as well. It enabled me to feel... well, like I was 15. Because let's face it, when I was 15 - no one dressed that well or had good hair. I was 15 in 1986 - my high school years looked like the wardrobe rejects of a John Hughes movie.

This show once gave me a piece of what I feel like I missed out on - that is being young during a decade when the worst fashion trend has been the tendency to wear big clunky shearling boots during the hottest days of summer. (Which actually doesn't look all that bad, it's just stupid.) However, I for one can no longer pretend to have the required suspension of disbelief when on this week's episode the Queen B launches a particularly cruel and silly attack on a new professor at her ridiculous Manhattan Prep School for the attrocity of (GASP) giving her a "B" on an assignment. And further that the character truly believes that the headmistress will side with her rather than her faculty in this unfair assessment of her scholastic ability.

This is the crucial moment that will cause this deluded girl to ruin her future?

Can I get an "OH PLUUEZE?" from the peanut gallery here? What was once a silly little Monday night tryst for high schoolers and those of us who wish we could have a do-over for the embarrassment of high school, has fallen to a level of stupidity only the original 90210 could match. I suppose finally, I just have to admit, that I am just too old for this crap.

XOXO
I'm out.

No comments: