Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Addiction of Facebook...

I am just as guilty as the next person of spending too much time on Facebook. HOWEVER - I have a bit of a suggestion for several of my "friends." Now, take this as it's intended - as a bit of advice, and as we all know, advice is free and worth exactly that much. So no yelling at me if you don't like my comments.

Since the redesign of Facebook's home pages a month or two ago - which for the record - is a HORRIBLE design - FB now has the added annoyance of posting every little thing that every single person on your friend's list does. And to be honest, I couldn't care less. There is nothing more irritating than waking up, going to check the ol' FB for new developments, funny status updates and whatever other insanely inane commentary my friends have left for me; and finding that some jackass who I haven't spoken more than two words to since grade school has done about 20 of these so-called "Tests" and the results are posted one after another for an entire page, blotting out anyone else's comments or photos... Yes, you know who you are.

So kids, let's get this straight through - just because someone sends you a test, challenge, or other irritating application - DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!! There is no Facebook Etiquette that says it's rude. The offending sender will probably never even notice or care that you have or have not done this stupid test and added the annoying application to your updates. And in the meantime you have saved us all from the constant bombardment of these things - because we don't care which Hobbit you are, the five places where you have lived (if we know you, chances are we already know this), or what hot celebrity some drunk asshole at a bar once told you you looked like.

And if you do have time to do 20 to 30 of these things per day - I have one more suggestion - get a hobby that involves the possibility of going out in the daytime, interacting with other people, and has no computer based activity. Trust me, it'll be good for you. Promise.

Now, I'm one of those people who updates my status more often that I should. I accept this. But generally my updates are silly, ridiculous and cryptic. Often intended as secret messages to people on my friends list - just to see if they're paying attention. I find them funny. And generally the people who they are intended towards do as well. But we don't overuse, overabuse or send thousands of tests to people because we would rather have a cyber-life than a real one.

There's a whole world out there people. It's not on Facebook. Stop fantasizing about which Star Wars character you are and go see it.




P.S. And yes, I do realize the irony of ranting about your fantasy cyber-life when I have taken my screen name from my favourite comic book character. But at least I realize it.

No comments: