Monday, June 8, 2009

I am a Twit.

Yeah, okay, so I think the proper verbage for it is "Tweet" but somehow I find "Twit" more appropriate. Because seriously, does anyone need to know what little 160 character thoughts are going through my head at any given time during a day? I began the tweet, because sometimes, not often, but sometimes you can have an actual text conversation with someone you know who lives far far far away... (yeah, there are three of you who know who you are, ahem)

When used properly, Twitter can be used as a proper good marketing technique. And I'm all for using it that way. It can be used to let your friends know en mass major news of your life... It can be used to entertain and expand (briefly) on the stupidity of what you see in the world. (Which is by the way, my personal favourite use.) But is it really necessary to "tweet" every stupid thought you have during the day? Really? It's as bad as the crazy Twilight fan who video'ed herself reacting to the new movie trailer. People, again, my problem here is this - why spend your entire life interacting with internet "friends" when you can actually go out and make friends and have a life? And I count myself amongst the guilty. There was a moment recently, when I spent a bit of time ranting about the necessity or the actual value in a show called "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here." But I suppose no one cares for my opinion any more than I care for the random typings of Ashton Kutcher or Shaq.

I've seen some of these twittering types. I do have at least one actual pseudo-celebrity on the list of people I follow (a writer whose work I love). For the most part, the tweet is nothing more than yet another way to say "Look at me, Look at me!!!" And most of the people tweeting the most often are those who desperately need people to pay attention to them. But I suppose it's a harmless outlet. Let's just call a spade a spade - it's a trend. It'll be over sooner rather than later once the shine rubs off and the stupidity of it all sinks in.

But in case you do care - come follow "thetankgyrl" on Twitter. Tweet at me. Sure. Why not? It's one more thing to keep me from dwelling on the absurdity of life in Los Angeles. Or perhaps it's one more way to dwell on the absurdity of life in Los Angeles...And it'll be somewhat entertaining... or at least I think so.

XO
thetankgyrl

1 comment:

JD said...

It's not something I do very well.
Although I am glad I discovered your blog.